LOGIN or REGISTER for exclusive access to premium content

Good Evening friend!
Electrical fire causes closure of Scotts Bluff County buildings
January 16, 2013 Lisa Betz   

Read more by Lisa Betz

Photo by Lisa Betz/Gering Citizen
Gering Volunteer Fire trucks are parked outside the Scotts Bluff County Administration Building at noon on Wednesday. An electrical fire started in the boiler room in the basement of the building. No flames were reported; however, the building, along with the neighboring County Courthouse building next door were shut down for the remainder of the day.


GERING – A fire broke out in the basement of the Scotts Bluff County Administration Building Wednesday at about 11:30 a.m.

County Sheriff Mark Overman said personnel from the information technology department noticed smoke when a short occurred in the transformer. There was a lot of arcing and sparking, but no fire broke out.

According to Casey Dahlgren with the Gering Volunteer Fire Department, the electrical fire started in the basement boiler room. No flames were seen, but there are melted wires. “We’ve got a real electrical mess down there.” said Dahlgren.

Gering Fire Chief Jay Templar said because of the damage and loss of power, county officials decided to close both the Administrative Building and the Courthouse. There were no injuries.

Damage assessment and cause of the fire will be investigated. However, Sheriff Overman said repair crews indicated to him that repairs won’t be a quick fix.
A further report will be provided as news unfolds.
Login to leave a comment

Comments