LOGIN or REGISTER for exclusive access to premium content

Good Morning friend!
Across the Fence: Fort Mitchell on the Great Platte River Road
February 21, 2013 M. Timothy Nolting   

The photo is of a sketch made by an artist by the name of Nichols who was presumably with Professor F.V. Hayden on a geological survey of Nebraska in 1867. The sketch also shows the road ranch and telegraph lines. Nebraska State Historical Society.

‘The Gap’ threaded through the wind-cut spires and time-worn edifices of nature’s carved cathedrals in the towering sandstone walls of Scott’s Bluffs. North of the bluffs, reaching to the banks of the Flatwater (Platte), lay a rugged expanse of land known as ‘The Badlands,’ an area of deep-cut ravines and gullies that no team of horses or oxen, pulling an overloaded immigrant wagon, could possibly traverse.

And so, about five mile...

(The rest of this story is available to Subscribers only. Please subscribe or login here if you are already a subscriber)
Login to leave a comment

Comments