LOGIN or REGISTER for exclusive access to premium content

Good Evening friend!
Fire destroys Gering home
April 18, 2013 Jerry Purvis   

Read more by Jerry Purvis
A south Gering home was destroyed by fire early Saturday morning after the Gering Fire Department responded to a blaze at the same location the previous day.

In the first fire, firefighters were called to the home of Richard Franke at 250 Cox Drive around 3:30 a.m. Friday for a possible attic fire.

“That one was caused by a short in a bathroom fan,” said Gering Fire Chief Jay Templar. “It started a small fire above the bathroom ceiling. It was minor because the fire melted some of the plastic tubing. Crews were there until about 5:30 that morning.”

Then at about 5:20 a.m. Saturday, the department got another call. But this time, the roof was fully involved.

“When we arrived, part of the roof had collapsed into the house,” Templar said. “”We were there until about 11 o’clock that morning. The walls are still standing, but I’d say this was a total loss for the homeowner.”

Templar said the State Fire Marshal has investigated the fire and findings have been turned over to the insurance carrier.
Login to leave a comment

Comments